Postdoctoral Research Fellow: Department of Biophysics and Neuroscience, Cinvestav, Mexico (2009-2010). Dr. Rafael Gutierrez. Department of Neuroscience, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh USA (2004-2009). Dr. German Barrionuevo.
The Cajal Institute, Madrid, Spain (2003-2004). Dr Washington Buño.
Ph.D. Degree: Biological Sciences, Biomedical Research Institute, UNAM. México, 2004
B.Sc. Biology. Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, México. 1997.
Current Position: Assistant Professor “Cinvestav 3B”
Member of the National System of Researchers (SNI): Level - I
The laboratory focuses on the synaptic plasticity, synaptic integration and communication of the inhibitory cells of the hippocampus during different periods of the lifespan. The experimental approaches used include electrophysiology and immunocytochemistry. We are currently interested in:
Integration and synaptic plasticity of glutamatergic afferents into hippocampal interneurons.
Neuronal communication during the lifespan and the senescence, focusing in the possible modifications of the interneuron synapse in aged animals.
Role of GABAergic cells during the epileptogenesis.
Galván EJ, Gutiérrez R. Target-Dependent Compartmentalization of the Corelease of Glutamate and GABA from the Mossy Fibers. Journal of Neuroscience 2017 Jan 18;37(3):701-714
* Villanueva-Castillo C, Tecuatl C, Herrera-López G, Galván EJ. Aging-related impairments of hippocampal mossy fibers synapses on CA3 pyramidal cells. Neurobiol Aging. 2016 Sep 28;49:119-137.
* Lara-Valderrábano L, Rocha L, Galván EJ. Propylparaben reduces the excitability of hippocampal neurons by blocking sodium channels. Neurotoxicology. 2016 Sep 28;57:183-193.
* Galván EJ, Pérez-Rosello T, Gómez-Lira G,Gutiérrez R, Barrionuevo G.
Synapse-specific compartmentalization of signaling cascades for LTP induction in
CA3 interneurons. Neuroscience. 2015 Apr 2;290:332-45.
* Beatriz Osorio, U. León, Emilio J. Galván and Rafael Gutiérrez. Co-Cultures of GFP+ -Granule cells With GFP-Pyramidal cells and Interneurons for the Study of Mossy Fiber Neurotransmission With Paired Recordings. Accepted for publication in Hippocampus, (DOI 10.1002/hipo.22102) 2013.
* Anderson WD, Galván EJ, Mauna JC, Thiels E, Barrionuevo G. Properties and functional implications of I (h) in hippocampal area CA3 interneurons. Pflugers Arch. 2011 Dec;462(6):895-912. Epub 2011 Sep 21.
* Cosgrove KE, Galván EJ, Barrionuevo G, Meriney SD. mGluRs modulate strength and timing of excitatory transmission in hippocampal area CA3. Mol Neurobiol. 2011 Aug;44(1):93-101.
* Galván EJ, Cosgrove KE, Barrionuevo G. Multiple forms of long-term synaptic plasticity at hippocampal mossy fiber synapses on interneurons. Neuropharmacology. 2010 Nov 18.
* Galván EJ, Cosgrove KE, Mauna JC, Card JP, Thiels E, Meriney SD, Barrionuevo G. Critical involvement of postsynaptic protein kinase activation in long-term potentiation at hippocampal mossy fiber synapses on CA3 interneurons. J Neurosci. 2010 Feb 24;30(8):2844-55.