Post-doctoral research fellow: Department of Pharmacology, Erasmus University Rotterdam, The Netherlands, 1988-1991.
Ph.D. Degree: Pharmacology, Departamento de Farmacología y Toxicología, Centro de Investigación y de Estudios Avanzados del I.P.N. México D.F., México, 1988.
M.Sc. Degree: Pharmacology, Departamento de Farmacología y Toxicología, Centro de Investigación y de Estudios Avanzados del I.P.N. México D.F., México, 1986.
B.Sc. Degree: Pharmacist (Químico Farmacéutico Industrial), Escuela Nacional de Ciencias Biológicas del Instituto Politécnico Nacional. México D.F., México, 1983.
Current Position: Full Professor 3F (the highest).
Member of the National System of Researchers (SNI): Level 3 (the highest; since 1999 with consecutive renewals).
The broad interest of our laboratory is that of pharmacological/operational characterization of the receptors/mechanisms involved in the cardiovascular effects of serotonin (5-hydroxytryptamine; 5-HT), catecholamines and other biogenic amines in mammal species. This includes, amongst other topics, the pharmacological identification of the receptors for 5-HT and catecholamines (including dopamine) that:
Mediate changes in heart rate, arterial blood pressure as well as carotid and arteriovenous anastomotic blood flows
Modulate the release of neurotransmitters on the neuro-effector junction of blood vessels and the heart, particularly on the autonomic and sensory nerve fibres
The aim of the aforementioned interests is to obtain lines of evidence that may lead to the discovery and eventual development of drugs with potential therapeutic usefulness in the treatment of migraine, hypertension and other cardiovascular pathologies.
* Ruiz-Salinas*, I., González-Hernández, A., Manrique-Maldonado, G., Marichal-Cancino, B.A., Altamirano-Espinoza, A.H. & Villalón, C.M. Predominant role of the dopamine D(3) receptor subtype for mediating the quinpirole-induced inhibition of the vasopressor sympathetic outflow in pithed rats. Naunyn-Schmiedeberg’s Arch. Pharmacol., 2013 Feb 19. [Epub ahead of print: DOI 10.1007/s00210-013-0841-8]. (*Como resultado parcial de tesis de maestría).
* Edvinsson, L., Villalón, C.M. & MaassenVanDenBrink, A. Basic mechanisms of migraine and its acute treatment. Pharmacol. & Ther., 136, 319-333, 2012.
* Marichal-Cancino*, B.A., González-Hernández, A., Manrique-Maldonado, G., Ruiz-Salinas, I.I., Altamirano-Espinoza, A.H., MaassenVanDenBrink, A. & Villalón, C.M. Intrathecal dihydroergotamine inhibits capsaicin-induced vasodilatation in the canine external carotid circulation via GR127935- and rauwolscine-sensitive receptors. Eur. J. Pharmacol., 692, 69-77, 2012. (*Como resultado parcial de tesis de maestría).
* Villalón, C.M., Galicia-Carreón*, J., González-Hernández, A., Marichal-Cancino, B.A., Manrique-Maldonado, G. & Centurión, D. Pharmacological evidence that spinal α(2C)- and, to a lesser extent, α(2A)-adrenoceptors inhibit capsaicin-induced vasodilatation in the canine external carotid circulation. Eur. J. Pharmacol., 683, 204-210, 2012. (*Como resultado parcial de tesis de maestría).
* Manrique-Maldonado*, G., González-Hernández, A., Marichal-Cancino, B.A., Villamil-Hernández, M.T., Del Mercado, O.A., Centurión, D. & Villalón, C.M. The dopamine receptors mediating inhibition of the sympathetic vasopressor outflow in pithed rats: Pharmacological correlation with the D(2)-like type. Basic Clin. Pharmacol. Toxicol., 109, 506-512, 2011. (*Como resultado parcial de tesis de maestría).
Participation in boards/committees:
Member of the international editorial board of the indexed journals: British Journal of Pharmacology (from January 2000 to December 2003); Emerging Drugs (from January 2000 to May 2008); Pharmacology & Therapeutics (from January 2005 to December 2011); and Basic & Clinical Pharmacology & Toxicology (since January 2011).
Frequent referee of papers submitted to the following indexed journals: British Journal of Pharmacology, Naunyn‑Schmiedeberg’s Archives of Pharmacology, Circulation, Brain, Cephalalgia, Headache, Life Sciences, Journal of Autonomic Pharmacology, Canadian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, Archives of Medical Research.
Member of the Western Pharmacology Society (WPS) membership committee and judge of “The WPS Keith F. Killam Jr. Memorial Award in Pharmacology".
Member of the promotion committee (judge) of the National System of Researchers (Medicine and Health Sciences: 2000‑2003). Mexico.
Member of the promotion committee (judge) of Centro de Investigación y de Estudios Avanzados del I.P.N. (COPEI, Biology Branch) during 1995, 1996, 1997, 2009, 2010, 2011 (President) and 2012. Mexico.
Some honours / distinctions:
More than 145 papers published in indexed international journals with high impact factor in pharmacology. These papers have been quoted more than 1800 times in other publications in international indexed journals (excluding self-quotations).
Research Prize (Natural Sciences) awarded by the Mexican Academy of Sciences in 1998.
National Prize in Pharmaceutical Sciences “Dr. Leopoldo Río de la Loza”, awarded by the Mexican Pharmaceutical Association in 2001.
The Keith F. Killam Jr. Memorial Award in Pharmacology, awarded by the Western Pharmacology Society in 2002.
Organizer of a number of international symposia within internacional congresses which have taken place in Mexico, United States, Brazil, Argentina, The Netherlands, Portugal, Japan, China and England. He has also organized a lot of symposia at local congresses
President and Chief Organizer of the Fifth IUPHAR Satellite Meeting on Serotonin, which took place in Acapulco, Mexico (July 3-5, 2002).
President and Chief Organizer of the 52nd Annual Meeting of the Western Pharmacology Society, which took place in Acapulco, Mexico (February 8-12, 2009).